Categories are used to group together articles and will help your users navigate your content. You should create your categories before creating any articles (single pages) so you can then assign your articles to your categories.
When you access your site for the first time, there will be several default categories, these are:
You can edit these existing categories or immediately delete them.
Creating a Category
- Go to the 'categories' section.
- Click on Add New Category and you will be taken to the editing category page.
- Set who you want the category to be viewable by either by Administrator, Everyone or Members only
- Give your category a title.
- You can choose to either show or hide the page title
- Body Section: Enter the actual content of the category into the body field. This will show up in the category page.
- Add Meta Tags: You should update these fields to help with your SEO grading.
- Title tag: Insert the category title - but do not include spaces, symbols or non relevant keywords.
- Description Tag: Include a description of the web page. No more than 160 characters.
- Hide Breadcrumbs: The option is available to hide breadcrumbs on certain categories, they can be found at the top of the page and will display where the user is located within the website content.
- Hide Subcategories: You also have the option to hide subcategories on the main category.
- Click Save and then either publish the page, or click preview to view the page before publishing.
Update Category Shortname
Once you have published the page, you will need to update the shortname.
- Edit the category
- Notice the shortname (highlighted in yellow)
- Click Change
- Enter the new shortname (the category page title)
- Enter save and then return back to the category with the new shortname.