Categories are used to group together articles and will help your users navigate your content. You should create your categories before creating any articles (single pages) so you can then assign your articles to your categories.
The teasers of articles, assigned to a category, will display in that category page feed.
All sites come with some example categories. These can be deleted as soon as you are ready.
Create a category page
- Under Content, select Categories.
- Click Add New Category.
- Set the viewable permissions.
- Give your category a title
- Choose to show or hide the page title.
- Body Section: Enter the actual content of the category into the body field. This will show up in the category page
How to reorder categories
- Under the Position label.
- The up and down arrows to move categories up and down.
- The right arrow will Demote a category to a sub category.
- The left arrow will Promote a sub category to a primary category.
How to optimize for SEO
- Meta Tags: Write a 70 character title that includes descriptive keywords.
- Description Tag: Write up to a 160 character description of the web page content.
How to hide breadcrumbs
- Hide Breadcrumbs: This option is available to hide breadcrumbs on certain categories. They can be found at the top of the page and will display where the user is located within the website content.
How to hide subcategories
- Tick Hide Subcategories to hide a subcategory list.
Update category shortname
Once you have published the page, you will need to update the shortname for SEO by including your important keywords.
- Edit the Category page.
- Click Change Shortname.
- Update the Shortname to include descriptive keywords important for SEO.